|Warming station for stranded drivers at the Cheektowaga|
Senior Center on 12/1/10
|Volunteers serve a hot meal to drivers, some of whom had|
been stranded over 24 hours when a snowstorm closed
portions of the Thruway in December 2010
- Pack emergency supplies like blankets, water and snacks, flashlight and first aid kit.
- Vehicles should be in good working order before heading out. Fill the fuel tank, check air pressure in tires and top-off windshield fluid.
- Buckle up and obey all traffic signs.
- Avoid distractions while driving like using mobile phones to talk or text.
- Designate a driver who won’t be drinking whenever alcohol is served.
If your using planes and trains instead of automobiles this Thanksgiving, we've got some safety tips for you as well. And of course, this is just the beginning of the winter season, so make sure you're prepared to make it through the snow at home and on the roads!