At approximately 9:30pm Sunday, November 11, 2012 volunteers from the American Red Cross of Southwestern New York volunteers opened a shelter at Alfred State College following an apartment explosion in Alfred, NY at the request of emergency managers from Alleghany County. The shelter will remain open through the night to accommodate residents of the Rose Apartment Building. The Red Cross will continue to provide the victims with temporary shelter, food and clothing, and will work with the families to provide support during their recovery process.
All disaster assistance offered by the American Red Cross is complementary and made possible by generous contributions from the American people and residents of Allegany County. The United Way organization of Allegany County also provides financial support to the local Red Cross mission.
Also, the WNY Region continues to deploy volunteers to assist in the Sandy relief efforts. 37 local volunteers have been or will be deployed, with 28 still out serving in the response. Recent deployments include:
- PearlieMae Hargro of Buffalo to North Brunswick, NJ for Client Casework
- David Erickson of Lakewood, NY to Middletown, CT for Client Casework
- Patricia Coate of Allegany, NY to Middletown, CT for Client Casework
- Mary Walker of Dunkirk, NY to North Brunswick, NJ for Client Casework
- Jay Bonafede of Tonawanda, NY to White Plains, NY for Public Affairs