|Photo courtesy of the |
Calhoun Branch American Red Cross
It’s so important that everyone follows the basics in water safety which includes:
· Always swim with a buddy; don’t allow anyone to swim alone!!
· Ensure that everyone in the family learns to swim well
· Enroll in age-appropriate Red Cross water orientation and Learn-to-Swim courses
· Never leave a young child unattended near water and do not trust a child’s life to another child
· Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water, but do not rely on life jackets alone.
o If you have a pool, secure it with appropriate barriers—many children who drown in home pools were out of sight for less than 5 minutes and in the care of one or both parents at the time.
o Always stay within arm’s reach of young children.
o Avoid distractions when supervising children around water.
o Know how and when to call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number