|Photo courtesy of the |
University of New Hampshire
Lifeguarding puts you in an exciting position, working as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water.
· May 29th
· June 5th
What the course entails:
· Prerequisite skills are done the first day of class.
· Candidates who do not complete the prerequisite skills to the instructor’s satisfaction will not be eligible to participate in the remainder of the course.
o Most facilities do not offer refunds to participants who do not pass the prerequisites skills.
o Check with the facility manager before participating in this course.
- Candidates must be 15 years of age on or before the completion of the class.
- Candidates must be of mature and dependable character.
- Candidates must swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick.
- Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front
- 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breath, kick and glide sequence
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke
- The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl or breaststroke. (Note: There is no time requirement for this skill.)
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using the front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet,
- Retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point while
- Maintaining two hands on the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1
- Minute, 40 seconds.
- Lifeguard candidates must attend every session at the times listed by the facility. Attendance in the course does not guarantee Lifeguard certification. Candidates must pass written and practical exams.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 716.878.2377.