· At least a 3-day supply of food and water
· Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
· Extra batteries
· First aid kit and a 7-day supply of medications
· Baby and pet supplies
· Personal hygiene items and extra clothing
· Emergency blanket and rain gear
· Copies of personal documents, including birth certificates and insurance polices
· Cell phone with chargers, and family and emergency contact informationIt's also important to make sure your insurance covers flood damage. Flooding has caused nearly $24 billion damage nationwide over the last ten years, but losses due to flooding are not covered under typical insurance policies. Flood insurance is offered through the National Flood Insurance Program--you can get more information at www.fema.gov/business.nfip.
For more tips on how to be Red Cross Ready for flooding or any possible disaster, be sure to visit our website, www.buffaloredcross.org, or contact Denise Herkey-Jarosch, Regional Coordinator, NYS Citizens Preparedness Program, at (716) 878-2231 to set up a presentation.