Photo courtesy of the American Red Cross of the National Capital Area
American Red Cross Emergency Services provides relief to people who have experienced natural and or man-made disasters. This unit is prepared at all times to provide food, clothing, shelter and medical care to disaster victims. All assistance is free and universal; disaster victims are not expected to pay the Red Cross for any services provided to them. Assistance to disaster victims includes:
· Vouchers for food, clothing, and household goods
· Temporary housing
· Health services and referrals
· Referrals to housing and other social service agencies
Most local disaster assistance is provided to victims of single family house fires. Our volunteer Disaster Action Team (DAT) is on-call 24/7 to provide disaster relief at a moment's notice. Other types of local disaster situations include:
· Snowstorms, ice storms and power failures
· Minor creek flooding and flooding of low lying areas around Lake Erie
· Major explosions and chemical leaks
· Train derailments
In addition to our traditional disaster services, the Red Cross offers several special programs. These include:
· Energy Assistance Programs - Provides financial aid to those who are unable to cope with energy bills, including elderly over the age of 60, handicapped or disabled, and those experiencing medical emergencies. Funds for NYSEG’s “Project Share” and Niagara Mohawk’s “Care & Share” come through each utility’s customers, vendors and boards.
· Information and Referral Programs - Provides general information regarding other local social services agencies. Information is provided by phone 24/7 or in person during normal business hours to those in need.
Disaster Preparedness: Training is now being offered. View our Disaster Training Calendar for more information.
Would you like to help keep Service Members and their families in touch during times of emergency? Become a Services to the Armed Forces volunteer!
Our Services to the Armed Forces (SAF) program facilitates communication between military personnel and their families during peace and war times. Using a worldwide emergency network, SAF assists in relaying important messages - the news of births and deaths, family illnesses and crisis situations - to loved ones all across the globe.
When an emergency arises that requires the presence of the service member or his or her family, the Red Cross may provide access to an interest free loan or a grant for travel expenses. These funds are made available by the military aid society.
For more information about SAF, please contact us at: 716.886.7500
Do you want to help keep seniors comfortable, safe, and well when they're in retirement homes, rehabilitation centers or assisted living centers? Become a Services to Seniors volunteer!
We have several programs within our Services to Seniors department which include, Ombudsman, Family Caregiving, Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP), I'm OK, Free Healthy Living Community Workshops, and Transportation that offer a continuum of services that improve the quality of life for seniors and those who care for them.
However you'd like to volunteer, we'll find a spot for you on our team. Visit us online to learn more about all of the services that we offer to the community, call us here at the Chapter today to learn more, 716-886-7500, or visit our volunteer section on the right hand side of this page to see our current opportunities.